I woke up one morning and had a dream... Could I own every single issue of Detective Comics, Batman and all of the other subtitles in the Gotham universe?
Insane? Stupid? Inspired?
This can only end in obsession and financial chaos.

Sunday 23 October 2011

Fun Times

A great thing happened this week. I completed the first major goal in The Batman Quest. A full run that starts at Miller's 'Year One' Reboot and finishes with the titles termination at #713.

Yessir, I have got a humongous three hundred plus, un-interrupted run of Batman (1940). And to say I'm quite pleased with myself is an under-statement. For those who didn't know, this was what the collection was supposed to be when I looked at my 2011 comic collecting resolutions (true, it got out of control once I started thinking about it a bit more). To collect this run before the end of October, is a moment where I must allow myself to be a bit smug.

This is a longbox full of Batman (1940). And it is MY generations interpretation and rebooting of Batman. So it really matters to, well, me.

So in the words of Red Dwarf android Kryten 2X4B-523P:

'Smug-mode'

And with that these are were the issues I considered to be a problem. If for different reasons;

The John Byrne 'Many Deaths of Batman' issues- I thought I had them, marked them off the list and everything. And then after physically checking the collection, it dawned on me. Oh Crap, how did I miss that? Think I might have to check out how many other gaffes there are in my system!

Issue 672. I couldn't find this anywhere. Until I discovered it in the world famous Ian's Comics And Books (it's in Portsmouth, and if you don't know that, then you ain't a player!)

The last two were #710 and #711. Which was found on the 'Bay. Did I overpay? You bet I over payed. And there'll be a seller out there that should be chuffed to think that his second hand comics might actually appreciate in value. Except they haven't. It's just that I'm incredibly obsessed/anal and incredibly driven/sad to complete this run.

And that's the point of this blog. That I'm bragging to anyone who reads this...

Bragging and Smug.

Yeah. Bring on the Quest!!