I woke up one morning and had a dream... Could I own every single issue of Detective Comics, Batman and all of the other subtitles in the Gotham universe?
Insane? Stupid? Inspired?
This can only end in obsession and financial chaos.

Tuesday 24 May 2011

THE GODDAMN BATMAN

DKR. Three simple letters that every Batman fan knows. If you are a comic fan, it is essential, no mandatory, reading. I have bought numerous collected editions. The first book has a defective spine, the second one was lost in a house fire, the third was lost at work. The latest edition is currently in storage.

When The Dark Knight Returns was released in 1986, I'm pretty sure Batman fans were blown away by it. I know, I was when I read it the first time almost sixteen years ago. I was blown away when I read it again last month. It was really influential too, Frank Miller had ushered in the serious-as-a-Jim-Gordon heart-attack, Grim and Gritty onto the Gotham world which a defined the Bat-books that is still seen in today's books.

To me, it is a masterpiece. There is an argument that it is not perfect, figuring out how a certain villain died took absolutely ages to figure out. And I once lent it to a friend who gave up on it due to the tiny captions and there was 'too many pictures'. But I find a lot in this book, from themes, symbolism and mad crazy ideas. I love the concept of Superman as an earthbound god who becomes a villain for no reason other than Batman decides he should be. I love the T.V. style debates. I love the Ronald Reagan cameo. It's freaking just awesome.

Regardless of owning numerous copies, having read it dozens of times, I have never had them on floppies. That was going to have to change. I found that they are widely available, but guaranteeing the best condition that I wanted at the right price I was willing to pay was the problem.

Why buy it right now? Well, I figure that after over 25 years, these first print books are going to be harder and harder to come across in NM. I've got no proof to back up that theory, but please allow me to excuse this indulgence! Ultimately though, if I don't scratch this from the wishlist (which it has been for the last four years) shortly, then I'm probably going to find it harder and the more expensive the book will be the later I'll leave it.

I know that I don't really need these books- it's more of a compulsion to own them- but I think that by having them will help me complete my collection and therefore, make my life a lot happier. And c'mon, this is DKR. It's that goddamn important.

And then this morning, I received a parcel this morning. And I got them. And I smiled. A lot. My life feels a lot more better right now.